After one of the rainiest summers on record in these parts, it’s somewhat surprising the first portion of our 140-acre lake and wetland didn’t just fill itself! While we appreciate the ‘help’ from Mother Nature, it doesn’t quite work that way. In cooperation with Alberta Environment, we will draw water directly from the Bow River to fill Harmony Lake. After a few months of very muddy work, we’ve managed to complete the lake bed and have officially begun filling this outstanding water body. In the coming months, as the lake levels rise, we will see the first 40 acres of Alberta’s deepest man-made lake become a reality. This is exciting for many reasons – not only is Harmony Lake our reservoir, providing drinking and irrigation water for the community, it is also a key part of our Integrated Water System and of course a place for endless recreation activities and moments of relaxation. A temporary beach area will be available near the Harmony Discovery Centre for optimum lake viewing as well.
On the north side of the lake, plans for our Beach Club and Wellness Centre are progressing, based largely on the feedback we’ve received from members of the public, just like you.
Some of the highlights coming along with Harmony Lake are:
• A thriving fish habitat, stocked with rainbow trout, means fun for fishers and budding fish fans.
• Plenty of room for non-motorized boats and water activities. Row boats, canoes, paddle boards, small sailing boats and the like will create an active yet peaceful experience for all.
• Lakeside trails meander around the lake and wetland area, create space for walks, runs or simply taking in the stunning landscape around the lake.
• The Village Centre lake-front area provides gathering spots ideal for enjoying a coffee while people watching and letting the world float by.
• Harmony Island, a quick paddle from the mainland, is a place for discovery and mystery for those who find it!
Beyond the life you’ll see on, in, and around the lake, this special water body is the feature component of our Integrated Water System. Carefully engineered to provide Harmony’s drinking water, water levels can also be controlled to help prevent area flooding. You can learn more about our water program, including our focus on reclaiming water and responsible resource stewardship here.
We hope you’ll join us in watching Harmony Lake come to life. Set between Calgary and the Rocky Mountains, the lake lifestyle awaits you here.
Watch our video on Harmony’s Lake.